Hi Marley is the only digital collaboration platform built for insurance. With our innovative SaaS texting application, we’re on a mission to transform the insurance industry and we are having fun and learning along the way! We celebrate each other's victories in and outside of work, respect each other as individuals and professionals and value ideas over hierarchy. Hi Marley promotes a culture of continuous learning by always seeking ways to be better for ourselves, our team and our customers.
As we continue to scale our organization, we are looking for a Software Engineering Manager who has a passion for developing software solutions and guiding/mentoring teams to do the same.
This candidate will be a highly experienced contributing developer and will actively work with their team to build dynamic, responsive web pages and the associated backend functionality. They will have deep experience working in high-volume production environments, designing, and building distributed architectures utilizing various cloud (AWS Lambda/SQS/etc.) and database technologies (MongoDB/DynamoDB/MySQL/etc.).
As the leader of their team, this candidate is responsible for ensuring that their team members have what they need to accomplish their objectives and effectively grow in their capabilities as engineers. They will be accountable for the engineering outputs of their team and interface regularly with Product Management and Engineering leadership to drive value into the platform. A successful candidate will lead with empathy, focusing on the growth of their team while balancing a focus on building successful outcomes for Hi Marley.
What You'll Do:
- Design, develop and help coach the team in the implementation of new and improvement of existing functionality within the Hi Marley architecture
- Manage a small development team, mentoring and facilitating growth of team members, providing bi-annual reviews, evaluating compensation, and offering consistent valuable feedback and assisting with hiring
- Assist in solving complex problems and transform them into business solutions
- Work across teams in engineering helping drive Marley’s user and developer experience towards the future
- Contribute to a highly motivated, positive, high energy work environment
What We’re Looking For:
- Typically has 8+ years of software development experience. High performing candidates that have less experience are welcome and encouraged to apply
- An empathetic leader with solid team management skills,and a history of successfully guiding and motivating software development teams
- Track record of successful delivery of high-quality applications and features to production systems
- Experience with distributed architectures, ideally in the AWS ecosystem
- Experience with relational and document-oriented databases. Including tuning and scaling
- Passion for test frameworks, CI/CD pipelines and code management tools
- Passion for design patterns and refactoring
- Experience in Node, Typescript, and modern frontend frameworks (React) preferred
Who We Are:
Hi Marley has three core values that are the foundation of our company culture, which every employee embodies:
- Max Courage - we encourage our team, our customers, and their customers to dream big, try new ideas and maximize impact by measuring risk.
- Be Humble – we lead with appreciation and promote a culture of humility, compassion and openness to learn from anyone, anywhere.
- Ubuntu “I am because we are” - we believe true success is much bigger than any single individual or company. By aligning our individual aims behind a shared purpose we can achieve our fullest potential, together.
Benefits and Perks:
On top of an exciting, supportive and intellectually curious workplace, we provide:
- Full benefits package including parental leave, a matching 401k program, and medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance.
- Open vacation policy - we all work hard and take time for ourselves when we need it
- Competitive salary and generous stock options - we all get to own a piece of what we’re building
- A fun, lively startup culture
- Core values-based leadership
- A culture of employee engagement, diversity and inclusion
- Ample opportunities to learn and take on new responsibilities in a fast-paced, growth-mode startup
Hi Marley is proud to be an equal employment opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and do not discriminate based on gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, race, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are committed to building an inclusive work environment representing a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills, where all employees are encouraged to be their authentic selves.
Hi Marley participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. For more information, please review the documents under "E-Verify Poster" here: https://e-verify.uscis.gov/web/OnlineResources.aspx